A calling ...

"We are called to be architects of the future, not its victims."

"Make the world work for 100% of humanity in the shortest possible time through spontaneous cooperation without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone."

- Buckminster Fuller

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Yoda: "Do or do not. There is no try."





For me, working out is a matter of life and death. When Dr. Prinz gave me the news a few months ago that my blood tests indicated that I have developed diabetes, the decision to get serious about working out on a daily basis and start tracking calories became a "no-brainer." I wasn't born with diabetes, I had to eat too much, eat too much junk food, and get out of shape to develop the condition.

Working out and keeping my energy level up is a professional requirement as a teacher. When I feel great, I give myself an opportunity to perform at my best. When a sugar and sleep deprivation crash hits, it's tough.

Reversing diabetes will not be so simple. So far, I have dropped 15 pounds this summer, but I have hit a plateau with my weight. My strength and flexibility is improving rapidly, but there seems to be some nerve damage in my left forefinger - I can't feel the fingertip. Could the nerve damage be diabetes related? Or, is it a matter for a chiropractor? Not sure!

Last night, at the gym, I hit the top of my targets in 11 of 13 exercises. It felt amazing!

Last night, feeling a little too good about myself after an awesome day, I celebrated by sneaking some of Joe's Hot Spicy Hot Cheetoes, then I ate a chocolate Klondike ice cream sandwich, then I did not get to bed on time. For lunch, I had a Quarter Pounder with Cheese, minus half a bun, and minus any fries.Today, I paid for my dietary indiscretion with extreme lethargy.

For Joe, working out is a matter of mediocrity or greatness, but not so much a matter of life or death. Last Saturday, Joe's new hitting coach, Chuck Hoyle evaluated his swing on using film and computer. Turns out, Joe's swing, according to Chuck's evaluation of the film, is beautiful. However, Joe does not have an athlete's body. Shocker!


According to Chuck, if Joe becomes dedicated "right now," he has the talent to go places in the game. Joe left ready to hit the gym, ready to become a gym rat. Tonight, reality hit. Offered the chance, the first thing Joe did was mention a bruise. Then he said, he would try. I pulled out the Yoda video.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My goal is to engage in civil conversation.