A calling ...

"We are called to be architects of the future, not its victims."

"Make the world work for 100% of humanity in the shortest possible time through spontaneous cooperation without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone."

- Buckminster Fuller

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Dog Walk Encounter: USGS Biologists Monitor the Health of our Local Stream

USGS Accotink Stream Monitoring Data

National Context

How Stream Quality is Measured



On the way home from dropping off Joe at Bill Brown's Baseball Camp at George Mason University, Mabel and I walked the Accotink trail off of Danbury Forest Drive. Mabel pressed forward excitedly, because we hadn't walked this stretch of the the trail in a while. Out destination was a place just past the trail's overpass at Braddock Road. where I periodically collect gratitude stones.

I have always been curious about the corrugated cylinder with a solar cell located there. Today, blocking our entrance to my stone collecting site, there were two pick up trucks, a red dual-wheel chevy with a camper top, and a smaller truck, with a young man wearing a white USGS tee-shirt. I engaged him in conversation and learned that the cylinder measures the height of the stream. The solar cell is used to power a transmitter that sends data to a satellite uplink. The young scientist and his lab partner were collecting and processing water quality samples to be sent to a lab for analysis.

I reflected about how much I learn and the interesting people Mabel and I meet on our dog walks and how I need to start carrying a camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My goal is to engage in civil conversation.