A calling ...

"We are called to be architects of the future, not its victims."

"Make the world work for 100% of humanity in the shortest possible time through spontaneous cooperation without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone."

- Buckminster Fuller

Monday, January 28, 2013

A funny look at a serious problem



Manti Te'o's EHarmony Ad - watch more funny videos      

In case anybody has been living in a vacuum, here is a hilarious look at the problem of inappropriate uses of technology. In the case of Manti T'eo, the Notre Dame Football player, who was the runner up for this year's Heismann Trophy, technology became a substitute for a genuine relationship.

The question of online "friends" is a running argument that I have with my son, whose "friends," outside of friends from baseball and track, are Xbox Live friends. As parents, we make sure that Joe is involved in so many activities throughout the year, there is at least some limit to the amount of time he spends with his online "friends," but to me, Xbox Live relationships are empty relationships -- and I am unhappy with what he is learning online. Whenever Joe, my 14 year old son, crosses the line with inappropriate language, I am forced to confront him and shut him down. If only I could convince Joe that the amount of time he spends on Xbox Live is totally inappropriate, and in fact harmful ...

Here is a cartoon from GoComics that addresses the issue of empty online experiences ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

My goal is to engage in civil conversation.