A calling ...

"We are called to be architects of the future, not its victims."

"Make the world work for 100% of humanity in the shortest possible time through spontaneous cooperation without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone."

- Buckminster Fuller

Monday, March 7, 2011

Degrees and Dollars - NYTimes.com

Degrees and Dollars - NYTimes.com

     Today, I interviewed with a local university and school system hoping to get accepted into a one year accelerated program to earn a Master of Education degree in K-12 Special Education. The interview seemed to go reasonably well -- I don't think I said anything that would kill my chances, and remembered to pause before responding. Afterwards I was required to provide a 20 minute writing sample. Although I spent the first ten minutes planning and ran out of time, my guess is that the purpose of the sample was to confirm that I wrote the essay which I submitted last week, and to confirm my ability to think on my feet. Getting established in education has been like running the gauntlet. I'm now taking a Psychology 231 online, and am preparing to take a literacy test involving reading and writing, as if I'm starting completely over. Entering this program is a tough sell at home considering I won't be generating income and will be going deeper into debt over the next year. Now I have a whole other reason to be concerned.

     "Degrees and Dollars," an article in the New York Times written by Paul Krugman, highlights trends I discussed in the essay I submitted last week, which I posted on Poetic License a couple of posts ago. According to Krugman, the most at-risk workers, those most vulnerable to job losses from globalization and technological change today, are middle-class "white collar workers!" Perhaps educational leaders need to reconsider the mission of education as simply another cog in the job-preparation assembly line. How prepared are educational leaders for accelerating social and economic change?