A calling ...

"We are called to be architects of the future, not its victims."

"Make the world work for 100% of humanity in the shortest possible time through spontaneous cooperation without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone."

- Buckminster Fuller

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Highway Robbery

"We have one very powerful business rule.  It is concentrated in one word: courtesy"

These are the words displayed in front of the counter at Wells Cargo Bank, where I have been sitting for the past 15 minutes,  waiting for a manager to help close out my Essential Checking Account.  Today,  I actually sat down at my desk and begn going through a pile of mail that includes statements,  a ticket for expired tags,  and who knows what. I'd rather have been working out on Cybex machines at the Audrey More Rec Centre,  listening to Made To Stick, CD 5, but I knew I had unresolved business in my disorganized pile,  along with thank you notes and a few remaining xmas cards that I never sent after Karen asked me to verify the addresses. 30 minutes.  When I want to file away my statement, I happened to notice that the non-interest bearing account I haven't touched in 2  or more years had fallen below $500. Looking closer,  I noticed that the bank had started charging me $7 monthly fees. 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My goal is to engage in civil conversation.