A calling ...

"We are called to be architects of the future, not its victims."

"Make the world work for 100% of humanity in the shortest possible time through spontaneous cooperation without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone."

- Buckminster Fuller

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Reality Check

With Dad recovering from a lung operation, I am reminded once again to be thankful for all of the good health I have enjoyed. Yesterday, I stopped by my parents' home and Mom hooked me up to the blood pressure machine. My blood pressure was 168 / 91. Yikes!

Despite just coming from a job interview, I did not feel particularly nervous because of the interview. For the past two days my blood pressure has been consistently high, but I'm not ready to correlate the spike in blood pressure with job interview stress.

Mom told me to call Dr. Prinz. She said to tell Dr. Prinz about my family history. She insisted that I tell him that my grandfather, Yunosuke Tsuchitani, had a massive stroke at 54. I had always associated my grandfather's stroke to stress related to World War II, the loss of his businesses, the burning of his boats, his imprisonment, his repatriation to Japan. Next week, after I have checked my blood pressure a few more times, I will call Dr. Prinz.

Today I Googled symptoms, wondering about the troubling loss of sensation that I've noticed in the fingers of my left hand and lingering joint pain. Looking at the Mayo Clinic website. Nerve damage and joint pain are symptoms of diabetes.

Given the subtle changes I am noticing, I need to reassess the intensity of my workouts and probably should avoid getting my heart rate up too high again at the gym until I figure out what is happening. It would be ironic if my efforts to get healthier killed me.

A couple of changes to my diet and exercise routine are necessary. Definitely, my sodium intake is too high. Possibly, my peak intensity levels are too high. Certainly, I need to work with my doctor. The last thing I want to let happen is have a minor setback derail my workout plans. Until we get this sorted out, though, I'm going to take my intensity down a notch.

Meanwhile, the job search continues. A lot less blogging, a lot more job hunting is in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My goal is to engage in civil conversation.