A calling ...

"We are called to be architects of the future, not its victims."

"Make the world work for 100% of humanity in the shortest possible time through spontaneous cooperation without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone."

- Buckminster Fuller

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Pulling the plug

This morning, after carefully considering how video games and TV can affect a child's brain, based on the brain science described by Dr. Carla Hannaford, PhD. in Smart Moves, I blocked Joe's favorite website. Earlier in the week, after yet another marathon electronics session, I had Joe make a "Non-Electronics List" of things he can do that do not involve electronics. Based on what I'm observing and what I'm reading about brain science, these games are addictive, generating dopamine and adrenaline in the child's brain.  Dr. Hannaford describes a condition she calls SOSOH (Stressed Out Survival-Oriented Humans), and explains how electronics contribute to this syndrome, along with a whole host of other factors. Joe was exhibiting a number of symptoms described by Dr. Hannaford. Thus, I intervened. I told Joe that he might hate me now but will thank later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My goal is to engage in civil conversation.