A calling ...

"We are called to be architects of the future, not its victims."

"Make the world work for 100% of humanity in the shortest possible time through spontaneous cooperation without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone."

- Buckminster Fuller

Monday, January 31, 2011

Illegal immigration enforcement program takes heavy toll on Hispanic populations

Illegal immigration enforcement program takes heavy toll on Hispanic populations

Below is my response to the above article. The comments remind me of the tone an tenor of all the articles I read at the National Archives while researching the causes of the Internment of Japanese Americans during World War II.

I wonder how my little SP is doing. She scored 600 (a perfect score) on her Reading SOL; her father was in deportation procedures because he had been charged with DWI. She cried every day on the playground and shared her experiences of going to the local food bank with me. Her description of being held high overhead by her father as they crossed a river into the United States was compelling, especially coming from such a young writer. Having gone to the Art of Gaman Exhibition at the Renwick over the weekend, I was reminded of people who endure great suffering with dignity and grace. To abandon these children seems shortsighted, at best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My goal is to engage in civil conversation.