A calling ...

"We are called to be architects of the future, not its victims."

"Make the world work for 100% of humanity in the shortest possible time through spontaneous cooperation without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone."

- Buckminster Fuller

Saturday, December 31, 2022

The Power of Habit

Listen to The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg on Audible. https://www.audible.com/pd/B007C64916?source_code=ASSOR150021921000R

https://mastodon.online/@PoeticLicenseDK/109608205481835015

I've read Ziglar, WaitIey, Robbins, Tracy, Brown, etc, on a loop. Did it for years while I resurrected a career after leaving Allied Plywood in 2001.

Have fallen into bad habits. Started with doom scrolling Twitter. #DingDong 's actions pushed me away. Had wanted to get away for years, but the black hole of hatred and fear of TFG and his Putin connection kept me hooked like a heroin junkie.

Even after migrating to #Mastodon, I've been doomscrolling Smart News the entire holiday. Black hole. So much wasted time. So much guilt. So much fear of the tsunami about to hit in 2023.

Need to reset. New habits. Do what I know
The Power of Habit.
I needed to find this book. The above statement confirms what I and my closest colleague and mentor, VM, have been talking about. The same sense of overload that prevents me from grading is exactly what prevents students from reading to learn or attempting Math problems. We've known that what holds most back are poor habits, so I'm revisiting the things I do unconsciously and what students do unconsciously to find areas where we can all be more efficient.

This is the sort of professional development & curriculum designing that we should be doing.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My goal is to engage in civil conversation.