A calling ...

"We are called to be architects of the future, not its victims."

"Make the world work for 100% of humanity in the shortest possible time through spontaneous cooperation without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone."

- Buckminster Fuller

Friday, March 5, 2021

Gratitude Letter

At GU. I was introduced to allusions, images, & concepts, without which, the voices of history's greatest western authors would have fallen on deaf ears. How this relates to the kid who is struggling in math, who is taking virtual classes from a closet to get away from the noise of siblings under his care may seem like a stretch.

In my own quiet way, I try to impart a sense of wonder, a hunger that can never be quenched, a sense of enduring purpose, like a Faulkner character, that have led me to places I would never have imagined. An English Degree at GU is not about the money, not about the degrees, it's about a depth of understanding, clarity in these confusing times. As a GU Alum, I often anticipate events before they are manifested, sort of like "second sight" from Njal's saga.

It took me over 2 decades before I realized the value of my GU education, because I was looking at it the wrong way. At first, I was cocky, because I viewed my degree as a status symbol. Then, I was humbled. Later, I was able to draw upon the examples I had studied to claw my way back from difficult times.

Now, I appreciate every day as Boethius might. Every day, the intersection of time & timelessness. Carpe Diem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My goal is to engage in civil conversation.