A calling ...

"We are called to be architects of the future, not its victims."

"Make the world work for 100% of humanity in the shortest possible time through spontaneous cooperation without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone."

- Buckminster Fuller

Monday, March 7, 2011

Degrees and Dollars - NYTimes.com

Degrees and Dollars - NYTimes.com

     Today, I interviewed with a local university and school system hoping to get accepted into a one year accelerated program to earn a Master of Education degree in K-12 Special Education. The interview seemed to go reasonably well -- I don't think I said anything that would kill my chances, and remembered to pause before responding. Afterwards I was required to provide a 20 minute writing sample. Although I spent the first ten minutes planning and ran out of time, my guess is that the purpose of the sample was to confirm that I wrote the essay which I submitted last week, and to confirm my ability to think on my feet. Getting established in education has been like running the gauntlet. I'm now taking a Psychology 231 online, and am preparing to take a literacy test involving reading and writing, as if I'm starting completely over. Entering this program is a tough sell at home considering I won't be generating income and will be going deeper into debt over the next year. Now I have a whole other reason to be concerned.

     "Degrees and Dollars," an article in the New York Times written by Paul Krugman, highlights trends I discussed in the essay I submitted last week, which I posted on Poetic License a couple of posts ago. According to Krugman, the most at-risk workers, those most vulnerable to job losses from globalization and technological change today, are middle-class "white collar workers!" Perhaps educational leaders need to reconsider the mission of education as simply another cog in the job-preparation assembly line. How prepared are educational leaders for accelerating social and economic change?

1 comment:

  1. Danny,

    Krugman does a good job in posing the problem as machines and artificial intelligence displaces many forms of economic work. But, like most academic economists, he misses the solution developed by Louis Kelso. If the machines want our jobs, let all citizens own the machines and receive the profits from what the machines produce for the market. Instead he proposes that wage rates go up, locking all citizens to wage slavery, welfare slavery and debt slavery. How can this be achieved without "big brother" redistribution schemes? See http://www.cesj.org/homestead/index.htm.

    ReplyDelete

My goal is to engage in civil conversation.