A calling ...

"We are called to be architects of the future, not its victims."

"Make the world work for 100% of humanity in the shortest possible time through spontaneous cooperation without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone."

- Buckminster Fuller

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Windows 8 Upgrade $39 through Microsoft

Yesterday, I upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 8 Pro Edition. The main reason I upgraded was because I had a "low level threat" virus called "Zero Day," which was virtually impossible to eliminate without reloading Windows. None of the solutions offered via the net, for which I think I invested about $120, eliminated the virus. The protection programs allowed me to clean up my "registry" on a daily basis, clean up the junk files that were continuously being created by the virus, and delete personal information that was at risk because the zero day created a "back door" that somebody could have used to steal personal information.  Everyday, I wasted 10-15 minutes checking and cleaning my computer, which I felt was necessary since I knew the virus and could not be eliminated. What a hassle!

Having read about Stuxnet, which was used by American intelligence officers to destroy Iranian centrifuges, and annoyed on a daily basis by how the virus ate up my computer's memory resources, I was reading to invest in a $39 download plus another $10 for a DVD to be mailed to me as an insurance policy. Having installed Windows 8, I cannot be happier than I did.

Microsoft's Upgrade Assistant worked seamlessly, although the process became confusing when the program demanded that I delete the antivirus and registry programs because of compatibility issues. Based on what I was able to see when I went to the Windows website, it seemed as though I needed to repurchase the program, when all I wanted to do was restart the installation process, but I played around with various options until I found my way back to the next step in the installation process. Very confusing! Good thing I am so persistent. I explored my way to desktop, where I noticed an icon for the Windows 8 Installer program positioned next to the recycling can in the top left corner of the screen. When I clicked on that icon, the installation restarted where I left off. From there, it was smooth sailing. Voila!

I'm not sure why anyone would fuss at the "changes." The look and feel of Windows 8 is not so different than other versions of Windows. Itt just requires a little getting used to. For me, upgrading to Windows 8 for $39 directly from the Microsoft website provided an easy way to rid myself of an annoying and potentially underestimated threat. Today, the upgrade price is artificially low. The price will rise considerably in
February, so I strongly recommend that any Windows user upgrade now! It is a no-brainer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My goal is to engage in civil conversation.