A calling ...

"We are called to be architects of the future, not its victims."

"Make the world work for 100% of humanity in the shortest possible time through spontaneous cooperation without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone."

- Buckminster Fuller

Sunday, April 28, 2019

Social Justice in action

Yesterday, I thought I had my mic on while I was typing furiously on OneNote while my dad was telling one of his social action stories from Greenwood, Mississippi, where Bob Moses, a leader of the Student Non-violent Coordinating Committee, was at a church organizing black congregationists to submit protest ballots at the courthouse. The national press corps had surrounded the courthouse, expecting a scene. The sheriff had threatened to jail anyone who tried to submit a protest ballot. My dad, wearing a black suit, black shoes, and a black briefcase, negotiated  with the Sheriff. "You're one of Bobby Kennedy's boy?" the sheriff drawled. My dad smiled. "Why do you have that camera?"

I won't use it if I don't need it."

The sheriff agreed to let the parishioners submit their protest votes as long as there wasn't any trouble.

Nothing happened, to the disappointment of the national press.

But my mic wasn't on. Very frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My goal is to engage in civil conversation.