A calling ...

"We are called to be architects of the future, not its victims."

"Make the world work for 100% of humanity in the shortest possible time through spontaneous cooperation without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone."

- Buckminster Fuller

Saturday, November 8, 2014

An allusion to Robert Frost

Stopping by the creek on a Saturday Morning


These woods are ours, we know them well
Long in the suburbs we have dwelled, also
No one will see us stopping here to hunt for stones where tribes once dwelled.

Mabel knows this is our norm to escape from the suburban swarm,
Between the Potomac and Accotink Creek, on any given Saturday morn.

She snorts and gives her head a shake
She knows that there is no mistake.
The only other sound’s the stream and rustling leaves and referees.

These woods are sanctuary from the swarm, but I have promises to keep
And every day’s another step.

One step at a time. One step at a time.
***
I can still recite "Stopping By The Woods On A Snowy Evening," by Robert Frost from memory. My second grade teacher, Mrs.Brown, had everybody in our class recite it, and it has stuck with me through all these years. As I walk with Mabel in the woods, I often repeat it from memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My goal is to engage in civil conversation.