A calling ...

"We are called to be architects of the future, not its victims."

"Make the world work for 100% of humanity in the shortest possible time through spontaneous cooperation without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone."

- Buckminster Fuller

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

FitLinxx Introduction

On Tuesday night, I met with Julie, a FitLinxx trainer at the Audrey Moore Recreation Center, to get started on a strength program.  When I purchased my 3 month Rec Center pass, one of the main selling points was that I would be able to meet with an instructor and set up some workouts through the Fitlinxx system. Julie set me up with a circuit of 13 Cybex machines, for which ranges of motion and body position settings were custom tailored to my body, and for which my workout progress is being tracked:

  1. Leg Press
  2. Leg Extension
  3. Seated Leg Curl
  4. Hip Abduction
  5. Hip Abduction
  6. Pulldown
  7. Chest Press
  8. Seated Row
  9. Lateral Raise
  10. Arm Curl
  11. Tricep Extension
  12. Ab Crunch
  13. Torso Rotation 


I will be posting the progress on Fitlinxx to my blog as I try to lose 15-20 pounds over the course of the summer, using a combination of cardio, and core strength and flexibility activities. One thing I really like about Fitlinxx is how a visual bar graph is provided for the full range of motion, and I am programmed for 2 seconds on the lift, and 3 seconds on the lowering, which helps me maintain proper technique.

On Monday, I took a physical and on Wednesday Dr. Prinz will go over the results of my blood work. Hopefully, no diabetes! Getting in shape and eating right have become priorities, largely because being a teacher takes a great deal of energy, and my energy has often taken a dive around 2pm-3pm every day. When starting a fitness program, it makes sense to consult with your doctor.

My starting weight, after 3 weeks, where I have primarily done 30 minutes per night of cardio training, is 175, which represents a loss of only 5 pounds. My blood pressure was 130 over 90 and 135 over 85 two different parts of the day. This is my baseline.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My goal is to engage in civil conversation.