A calling ...

"We are called to be architects of the future, not its victims."

"Make the world work for 100% of humanity in the shortest possible time through spontaneous cooperation without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone."

- Buckminster Fuller

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

General Custard


I was giving a spelling test to Chris, a brilliant 3rd grader who reminds me a little of Sam Kineson, when Synthia walked past, along with her PHTA, America, and brightened my day. Seeing little Synthia making her rounds on her "walker" this morning, getting her Orthopedic workout, brightened a bleak, rainy morning where I was feeling a little sorry for myself. Synthia is a beautiful child who is non-verbal, and uses a wheel chair. She loves music, especially Jason Mraz, as I learned yesterday, while substituting in her Special Education  class. She "sings" along with her favorite songs, and despite the choppy Internet connection, I found myself dancing yesterday.

Today, I started my day by driving to the wrong site because I didn't check my list carefully, and had to rush over to the correct site. My GPS was playing tricks on me. My body was aching from a lack of sleep, but watching my little hero doing her thing was like flicking on a light switch from the inside. I forgot about the image of General Custard that has clouded my mood and the rainy weather, and found that happy, resourceful state when I am at my best as a teacher.

By the way, happy Pearl Harbor Day. I don't think I'll call mom tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My goal is to engage in civil conversation.